Sunday, June 7, 2009

Introspection: Open My Eyes

I share these thoughts, hoping that they are of help to someone else.


Open My Eyes

Scripture:

Do you still not perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes, and fail to see? Do you have ears, and fail to hear?

Mark 8:17-18 (NRSV)


I found God
On the corner of 1st and Amistad
Where the West
Was all but won
All alone
Smoking His last cigarette
I said, "Where You been?"
He said, "Ask anything."

From "You Found Me" by The Fray


Some days after work, I like to go to the local shopping mall. I walk around, visit the stores, and look at the other people. Sometimes I go to the food court to get an egg roll and a soda, but very rarely do I actually do any shopping. I've realized that my visits to the mall are less about shopping and more about clearing my head.

It was the week of Valentine's Day, and I saw a stand at the mall where people were selling balloons and other gifts. At this sight, I was hit with a rush of old familiar feelings. Valentine's Day has never been a particularly happy subject for me. In fact, my love life, or the lack thereof, has been a constant source of griping in my life.

I gripe and complain a lot. I used to complain about my height and my looks. When I was in school, I complained about the rules. I have always complained about my chronic state of being single. My major gripe lately has been my career choice. At the mall that day, I imagined what it would be like to confront God with my complaints once my life in this world is over. Then I came to a realization. While I cannot truly speak for God in this area, I believe that I know what the exchange would sound like.

First I ask God, "Why didn't You show me which career path to take? Why couldn't I find work I was happy doing?"

God replies, "You knew what you really wanted to do the whole time. You knew what I was calling you to do, so why didn't you do it?"

Then I ask God, "Why couldn't I find love?"

God responds with the name of a woman I knew, asking, "What about her? She loved you! Why did you ignore her?"

As I imagined that conversation with God, I began to wonder if it was true that everything I ever really wanted or needed has been right in front of me the whole time. Have I been asking "Why me?" while completely ignoring the answers I was truly seeking? Have I been too busy complaining to see that I really have nothing to complain about? Am I like Christ's disciples, having eyes but not seeing and having ears but not hearing? Have I hardened my heart and become blind and deaf by my own accord?

Perhaps what I need the most right now is enlightenment. Like King Solomon, I must pray for wisdom. I must ask God for the discernment to find his will for my life and for open eyes, open ears, an open mind, and a tender heart that I might see the abundant life He has already given me.

1 comment:

  1. Hm, I like this. I know for me that I all too often try to lay the blame outside of myself, when 95% of time, I really just need to sit down, take it, and move on. I think that in some ways, this is a major problem plagueing contemporary Christianity in that we no longer are willing to take the blame for and deal with our problems. We're afraid to get dirty.

    Keep writing and keep searching. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete