Friday, June 25, 2010

Introspection: It's About Us

I share these thoughts, hoping they are of help to someone else.


It's About Us

Scripture:

Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another - showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (The Message)


I'm the man with all I've ever wanted
All the toys and playing games
I am the one who pours your coffee
Corner booth each Saturday
I am your daughter's favorite teacher
I am the leader of the band
I sit behind you in the bleachers
I am every man

From "Every Man" by Casting Crowns


There is a number of different viewpoints regarding the historical accuracy of the Bible. Even Christians differ regarding how literally they view the events described in the Scriptures. Some people think that every story in the Bible is a literal account of a historical event. Others think that some parts - the story of Jonah and the whale, for example - may be parables, short stories meant to convey spiritual truth.

I do not wish to argue for or against either viewpoint; however, I like what Rob Bell said regarding one story in the Bible: "Maybe the greatest power of the story, is not so much that it happened, but that it happens."1 We can neither prove nor disprove many of the events in the Bible, but we can see parallels in the world around us and even in ourselves.

Since I started speaking at my church and teaching Sunday School, I have begun to see the Bible in a new way. As I seek to put the stories within its pages into context for our day and age, I have come to realize that the Bible is not just about people who lived thousands of years ago: it is also about us living in the world today.

In studying the story of Simeon and Anna,2 I realize that I too am waiting for my Messiah to come into this world gone wrong and to set things right.

In studying the story of Jesus' encounter with a leper,3 I see that I too am in depserate need for Christ to reach out and take away my uncleanness and to bring healing to my sin-sick heart.

In studying the story of Doubting Thomas,4 I find that, though I try to follow Christ, I sometimes find myself full of doubt. I have also come to realize that Christ can use this doubt to grow new faith in my heart, just as he did for Thomas.

In studying the story of Jonah and the whale,5 I find that I too cannot seem to get over myself, constantly running away from what God wants me to do. I also find that, despite all of this, God is not going to give up on me, even if it takes a whale to change my mind.

In studying the story of Jesus' anointing at the house of a Pharisee,6 I realize that I too tend to look down on others even though I am no better than anyone else. I also see that, like the sinful woman who anointed Jesus, I have an enormous debt that only Christ can pay.

St. James compares the Word of God to a mirror, showing us both what we are and what we need to be.7 If we study the Bible with open minds and open hearts we can actually begin to see ourselves in its pages. In the last year and a half, I have seen myself as a prophet waiting for a Messiah, a leper in need of healing, a doubting disciple, a stubborn messenger, a judgmental Pharisee, and a harlot thankful to be forgiven and accepted.

Where do you see yourself in the Word of God?


Notes:
1 - Rob Bell. Nooma Trees | 003. Flannel.
2 - Luke 2:22-38
3 - Mark 1:40-45
4 - John 20:19-29
5 - Book of Jonah
6 - Luke 7:36-50
7 - James 1:22-25



If you have any feedback, thoughts, stories, or even arguments to contribute, please leave comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment