Thursday, January 30, 2020

Introspection: My Eleven-Year Identity Crisis

I share these thoughts hoping they are of help to someone else.
Comments are always welcomed.
If you find these thoughts helpful, please share.


My Eleven-Year Identity Crisis

O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You discern my thoughts from far away.
You search out my path and my lying down,
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
O Lord, You know it completely.

Psalm 139:1-4 (NRSV)


I wonder if the things I did were just to be different
To spare myself of the constant shame of my existence
And I would surely redeem myself in my desperation
Here and now I'll express my situation

From "Burning Bright" by Shinedown


As I stated previously, my goal for this year is to become more courageous.  As far as I know, the only way to become more courageous is to practice courage, so, for my first step in this year of courage, I decided to take The Authenticity Challenge.1

The Authenticity Challenge was written by Sarah Heath, United Methodist pastor and creator of the Sonderlust podcast.2  This book contains three weeks of daily challenges which are meant to help the participant cultivate authenticity and contentment.  The first week's challenges concern authenticity in one's personal life; the second week's challenges concern authenticity in one's job or vocation; and the third week's challenges concern authenticity in one's spirituality.  The first challenge of each week spans the entire week.

I bought this book in the middle of last year, but I had yet to start working through it.  I decided to take the plunge now, because I figured that submitting myself to daily challenges I had not reviewed beforehand would require some courage on my part.  Furthermore, I know firsthand that it requires courage to be authentic in the face of other people's expectations.

The Authenticity Challenge didn't require too much courage from me, but I think it might have given me a bit of an identity crisis.  Actually, I think it has shown me that I might have been going through an identity crisis for the last eleven years or so.

One of the first-week challenges was to take a personality test and to learn more about my personality type.  Because I have already learned a lot about the Enneagram and my personality type according to this system, I decided to find out what another personalty typing system might teach me about myself.  I chose the Myers-Briggs system, in which personality types are based on four aspects of how a person lives and interacts with the world.  I took an test online,3 and, when I was finished, I was informed about my personality type.

I will not disclose my personality type at this time, because I don't feel that my test results were conclusive.  I think the test might have yielded different results if I had just answered a question or two differently, or if I had just answered some questions with a little more certainty.  What was conclusive about my test results was that my personality type was one of the introverted types.  Quite frankly, I was rather disappointed.

For most of my life I believed that I was an introvert.  I was pegged as one when I was a child because I tended to be shy and quiet.  That said, a few years ago, I realized that there is evidence that I might actually be an extravert.  Exhibit A is that, though I like having time to myself like an introvert, I typically spend such time in public places like coffee shops and bookstores.  Exhibit B is that, while introverts are drained by social interactions, I have trouble sleeping after I go contra dancing, even though I'm physically tired.  Exhibit C is that, like an extravert, I like to talk about myself.  Furthermore, I've known sociable, talkative people who claim that they're introverts.  Why couldn't the opposite be true?

I actually jumped at the chance to believe that I was an extravert and not an introvert.  Even though I had heard that introverts actually have certain advantages in life, I never viewed my supposed introversion as anything but a bad thing.  Introversion was something I needed to overcome if I was ever to live the life I wanted.  Truth be told, introversion would explain why I like to be alone with my thoughts, even if I happen to be alone in a public place, why I don't like large crowds, even though I like being around people, and why I'm quiet around people until I feel comfortable around them.

Speaking of introversion and contra dancing, a couple of weeks ago, on a Saturday evening, I decided not to attend a contra dance.  Six months ago, I started contra dancing again, and, though I've enjoyed it, going dancing is often something I have to make myself do.  That evening, after I ate dinner, I found myself in a coffee shop as the only customer, and I may or may not have had an anxiety attack.  My heart was beating hard, and I was somewhat short of breath.  I felt like I had made a big mistake.  I texted my mother, and, over text, she talked me down.

The experience left me with a lot of questions about myself.  Why would I opt out of a contra dance?  Why do I have to make myself go dancing if I enjoy it so much?  Have I been trying to be someone I'm not?  If so, how long has this been going on?  Did I just take up contra dancing so that I could say that at least some of my interests aren't nerdy or weird?  If so, what else did I start doing so that I could be different than I was?  Did I start preaching, teaching, and writing so that I could me more than a computer programmer?  Have I been exploring and cultivating parts of myself that have previously lain dormant, or have I just been constructing another "false self"?  How authentically have I been living?


However I answer these questions, the fact of the matter is that I couldn't - or rather wouldn't - accept myself as an introverted computer nerd.  As P.T. Barnum says in The Greatest Showman, "I wanted to be more than I was."4

I think I have indeed been developing previously dormant parts of myself and not merely building a facade.  I say this because I didn't utterly crash and burn when I set out to do the things I started doing and because I've found these things personally rewarding.  I've been writing somewhat consistently for eleven years, and I have been certified to preach in my denomination.  People have told me how much they enjoy my writing, and just recently a friend of mine told me what my latest sermon meant to her.  I also happen to be a decent dancer.

When people ask me to preach or write for them, I feel honored, but, when people ask me to do something for them that is more tech-related, I feel annoyed.  The truth - aside from the fact that forty hours of tech-related work per week is enough for me - is that I don't want people to think of me as a computer programmer.  That said, some parts of The Authenticity Challenge helped me to see that my job as a computer programmer is not a bad fit for me.  I bring the same curiosity and creativity to my job that I bring to my preaching and writing, and I have many reasons to be grateful for my job.

People cannot be adequately defined by personality traits, interests, and occupations, for we are more than all of these things.  I am a computer programmer, and I am also a writer, a teacher, and a preacher.  I am a nerd, and I am also a dancer.  I have some qualities that are more introverted and others that are more extraverted.  I need to learn to accept all parts of myself and not only the parts I think are most attractive.


Notes:
  1. Sarah Heath.  The Authenticity Challenge: 21 Days to a More Content Life.  2019, Abingdon Press.
  2. https://revsarahheath.com/
  3. https://16personalities.com/
  4. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1485796/quotes
The photograph featured in this introspection was taken by me in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment